United Kingdom | IT
Senior Database Administrator
Closing date: 2022-07-31 59:59:59
Reporting to the CIO, the SQL Server DBA will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical SQL Servers, to ensure the availability and consistent performance of CPL’s global applications. This is a “hands-on” position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and sustainment of the SQL Server Warehouse, ensuring its operational readiness (security, health, and performance), executing data loads, and performing data modelling in support of multiple development teams. The data warehouse supports an enterprise application suite of program management tools. Must be capable of working independently and collaboratively.
The DBA will be in charge of handling both the back and front end, combining administrative capabilities with the more technical aspect of the role. Knowledge in data manipulation languages, having extensive experience in database management approaches are key requirements.
- Manage SQL Server databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.
- Build database systems of high availability and quality
- Use high-speed transaction recovery techniques and backup data
- Minimize database downtime and manage parameters to provide fast query responses
- Provide proactive and reactive data management support and training to users
- Determine, enforce, and document database policies, procedures and standards
- Perform tests and evaluations regularly to ensure data security, privacy, and integrity
- Monitor database performance, implement changes and apply new patches and versions when required
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Apply data modeling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes
- Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
- Provide support for critical production systems.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours.
- Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to other peers and team members.
- Work with external partner for regular support.
- Regular travel to the Divisions, adhering to group policies, any other duties as requested by the CIO
Must have at least 5+ years SQL Server Administration experience.
MCTS, MCITP, and/or MVP certifications would be a definite advantage.
Skills and Knowledge
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models
- Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server
- Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory
- Flexible, team player, “get-it-done” personality
- Ability to organize and plan work independently
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to multi-task and context-switch effectively between different activities and teams
- Exceptional strategic planning and problem-solving skills
- Ability working within pressurized environments whilst making decisive decisions
- Ability to think logically and demonstrate strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage internal projects from inception to completion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Must display and demonstrate attitudes in line with the Company Values